I was approached by Cherie Burbach the Author of this book to do a guest post for her and when I saw she had written this book, I promptly asked for a copy to review.
I really love this little book and the concept of it. It is a quick and easy read geared towards friends and family of those with diabetes giving them down to earth and practical tips of how to help their loved ones.
Cherie has had diabetes for 20 years herself and really speaks from the heart and personal experience, enriching the book.
I love the way it helps the reader to put themselves into the shoes of someone with diabetes and see it through their eyes, some of the take home messages for me are
- not to judge, and police them, looking at their plates and so forth to be a good listener and understanding
- it reminds the reader of how complex diabetes is, its not all about what you eat, and that blood sugars are affected by many factors, food, activity, stress and illness
- it also offers practical advice such as learning how to give shots and check blood sugar so if needed they can offer a helping hand
- also to keep healthy food on hand and sugar free soda when your loved one comes to visit.
- It suggests learning about the condition and attending support groups, with them.
Its a great book I highly recommend it.
For more information be sure to visit her website