I made Spaghetti Bolognese Yesterday and the dietitian in me added extra veggies I am sure its not very Authentic Italian, but very nice!
- One pack of very lean beef
- 1/2 red onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- Italian herbs, and fresh basil other fresh herbs are also great
- one carrot diced
- red, yellow and orange pepper, 1/4 each
- one box of mushrooms
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- Saute the onion, and garlic in olive oil, with the beef till brown
- then add the mushrooms, carrot, herbs, and peppers cook for 5 min
- then add spinach, reduce down
- add 6 fresh tomatoes and a little tomato puree cover and simmer on a low heat for 30 min
This dish freezes really well, its rich in protein, iron, antioxidants and whole grains.
It was served with wholewheat pasta, lovely.