Amma's plate great portion control, protein from the lentils and 3 kinds of veggies, RD approved of course.
Cool I have another recipe to share with you all, my goal is to learn lots of recipes from my Mum in law while she is here, she's a great cook, its simple by Indian standards and healthy, she is very health conscious eats lots of veggies (shes vegetarian!) and less oil.
- Brinjal/Eggplant, the long thai ones or the little ones work the best as they get softer
- 1/2 onion (she doesn't use onion and garlic in cooking due to religion but I do so will add to recipes lol)
- garlic 2 cloves
- mustard seeds
- fennel greek
- red chili -1
- 1/2 spoon urad dal
- curry leaves
- 4 tomatoes
- tamarind pulp
- masala powder
- heat the oil and pop the mustard seeds and the garlic, onion urad dal, fennel seeds, curry leaves, red chili and tomatoes saute for 5 min let it reduce down
- add the brinjal and a couple of teaspoon canola oil, saute for another 5 min
- then add the tamarind pulp and water some masala powder to taste and salt
- simmer for 10-15 minutes
I love this curry, yummy.
We ate it with rice, dal and spinach (cooked like the collard greens)
Enjoy, lets see what's on the menu today!