Easy Beef Bourguignon: based on Julia Child's recipe but I simplified it just a little
- 3 slices of bacon
- 6 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- 3 tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 onion
- one stick of celery
- 2 tablespoon of herbs de Provence
- one pound of stew beef (got mine from wholefoods)
- one cup of mushrooms
- 2 chopped carrots
- 3 cups of beef broth
- one cup Cote De Rhine red wine
- one can of tomato paste
- fresh thyme and rosemary springs
- cook the bacon then set aside
- saute the garlic and onion in the bacon grease (this is not a dietitian's recipe however I wanted it to be Authentic and its not that much saturated fat in the grand scheme of things LOL)
- add some butter and olive oil
- mean while coat the beef in flour and herbs de Provence
- then add the beef and partly cook stirring well, add the mushrooms and carrot
- then add the beef broth, wine and tomato paste mix well.
- simmer on the stove on low for 2-3 hours
I served it with broccoli and egg noodles. But now I am in the bread making group next time with be with fresh bread!
Its also great slowly cooked in the oven like the Julie and Julia Movie, but don't fall asleep. I did it on the stove I need a La Creuset!!
Hope you enjoy this as much as we all did it was delicious and was a excellent meal to celebrate New Years eve.
What's your favorite French dish?