This is my Grandma's chocolate cake recipe its in fact very similar to the coffee cake and made in a jiffy she makes me smile as she makes both at the same time and often freezes one, or eats both :-). But there are always folks calling in for tea and cake at Grandma's. For me I just make one at a time, there's just three of us (soon 4!) and it gets eaten fast.
Tips from my Grandma - weigh eggs and then use the same weight of flour, sugar and butter, this really works.
- 2 medium eggs
- 4 oz of self raising cake flour (the same weight of the eggs)
- 4 oz of butter, softened
- 4 oz sugar
- 1/4 of a cup of cocoa
- mix about 3 teaspoon of cocoa with 1/4 cup hot water and allow it to cool
- mix the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- add the eggs, flour and the cocoa
- line a round baking tin with grease proof paper and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until a knife comes out clean
- melt chocolate and cover the cake and let your toddler pour sprinkles over it !
Love simple recipes for cakes and so admire all you amazing bakers in the blogging world for your talent