I decided to try making halwa today for hubby as traditionally sweets are eaten on Diwali and we don't have any Indian sweet shops near by. I used the recipe on Cooking for all Seasons, its a wonderful Indian food blog and I just knew Shrivalli would have a good recipe, she was the lovely food blogger I had the pleasure of meeting in Chennai. It was easy to make and delicious :-)
- about 1 1/2 cups of grated carrot
- 4 large dates mashed
- one cup of sugar
- 2 cups of milk
- a little butter, ghee would have been better
- a few almonds, I didn't have cashew nuts
- grate the carrot and mash with dates
- heat one cup of milk for 2 minutes in the microwave and add to carrot leave for 5 minutes
- add mixture for 5 minutes to microwave and add extra milk as needed
- after about 10 minutes add the sugar and return for 3 minutes, stop every couple of minutes to check its OK and stir, the milk will evaporate and it will slowly thicken.
- meanwhile heat some butter and toast the nuts
- after 15-20 minutes of cooking mix in the nuts and its done.
For a more detailed post with pictures of each stage be sure to visit Carrot Halwa
The Big News is the Chow and Chatter Recipe app, was approved by apple and is now available in the apple store!!! for a special introductory price of only 99 cents :-)
This has been a dream of mine to make something cool and from my heart it features over 80 recipes from chow and chatter, you can search by cuisine, ingredient and dish. I hope you like it consider getting it and reviewing and spread the word it would mean the World to me. I saved up and paid for it, and between us it wasn't cheap but I took a risk hoping folks will enjoy it.
Now to write a Press release any ideas? anyone done one before?