This salad was so much fun, it is inspired by a Nicoise salad, from Nice in the South of France, the salad there often has eggs, green beans, anchovies and is so good. I saw these cute little quail eggs in the Asian store and thought they would be great in this salad, I also added some lychee for fun.
Nice always has a soft spot in my heart, as we went there when I was 5 months pregnant, we actually started of the trip in Barcelona Spain, met my Mum and Dad and friend there then we drove to Nice along the Southern part of France to Nice for a night, back via Provence. It was magically. We even watched the Formula one racing in Barcelona. So Jasmine had a taste of noisy fast cars at a very young age!
I just want to encourage all your pregnant ladies out there to enjoy pregnancy and travel for as long as you can, its so much fun, then even with a little one keep traveling its a little harder but where there is a will there's a way! I remember once meeting a couple with a 2 week old at the Grand Canyon the Mum still had the hospital tag on her wrist!
So often folks stop traveling as much as they feel it will be too hard, but it can be done.
Also with food, let little ones try anything the more foods and cuisines from around the World the better, but that's just my humble opinion :-)
Nicoise Salad with an Asian Twist!
- about 6 big lettuce leaves
- 5 chopped potatoes - cooked
- 1/2 a cup of cooked peas and 1/2 a cup of cooked edamame
- 4 lychee
- 8 cherry tomatoes chopped
- one can of tuna
- 1/4 of a cucumber chopped
- 6 quail eggs boiled and halved
- 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, I had a nice Californian one infused with Meyer lemons
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- one tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- herbs De Provence to taste
- a little salt and pepper
- boil the peas, edamame and potatoes and keep to one side
- then mix it all together arrange eggs on top and enjoy
My little taste tester diving into the eggs! as I was taking pictures, even today as I was writing this post earlier she saw this snap and said eggs!
Here's me when I was pregnant with Jasmine walking along the beach front in the most beautiful city of Nice. You know we even took Jasmine back to the same restaurant we ate in when I was pregnant a year later with my parents. I am beaming just thinking about it.
What trips do you remember when your were expecting and men where did you go with your loved one?