I have been making bread with Healthy bread in five minutes a day, but unfortunately my hubby doesn't like it and I really didn't want to give up on bread making. So I searched the web and settled on Steamy Kitchens method, and slightly adapted it. It seemed straight forward and I can happily report, I have now made a simple bread from scratch and kneaded it. So much softer than the no knead method and really not as hard as I thought!
- 4 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon active yeast
- 2 teaspoon salt
- enough water to make a nice dough about 1 1/2 cups
- add the flour to a bowl with salt on one side and yeast on the other, I think the salt harms the yeast if together, (keep a little flour back for kneading)
- slowly add the flour and mix, I use a bread mixer
3. let it stand for 5 minutes
4. then remove it and knead, adding in the extra flour, this was fun, then add to a oiled bowl cover and let it rise for 1-1/2 hours I put on deck it rose beautifully
5. after it has risen punch and knead pack down and let it rise again
6. then divide into 2 stretch it out, and fold it over like below and seal it well to trap air inside, then let it sit for 20-30 minutes
7. meanwhile heat the oven to 425F with a pizza stone after 5 minutes add a broiler tray with water to create steam
8. now add the baguettes to the hot oven and bake for 20-30 minutes
9. enjoy a wonderful soft French Baguette at home!!
I hope this inspires those who haven't made bread to give it a try if I can do it so can you :-)
I will send this over to girlichef for REAL food two for Tuesdays-