I invented this recipe a few days with halibut fresh basil and a tomato based sauce and served it over polenta. It was so fresh and tasty I highly recommend it and what's more super easy to make. The evening I made it my friend was visiting with her one year old and it was her first taste of fish she loved it, polenta is also wonderful for little ones. The next day I went to their home and cooked cod in a Parsley sauce for her!!
- 2 halibut steaks, I get mine from whole foods, wild caught Alaskan frozen
- one can of chopped tomato
- about a cup of chopped fresh basil
- some Italian herbs
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- one chopped zucchini and one yellow squash (cut Julienne style)
- about a cup of polenta
- salt to taste
- 1/2 a red onion finely chopped
- a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- heat a little olive oil and saute the onions and garlic with squash and zucchini for 5 minutes then remove from heavy bottomed pan (I used a Le Creuset)
- then pan sear the halibut with herbs on each side, add the onions and vegetables back in with a can of tomatoes and fresh basil and simmer for 20 minutes
- serve over polenta, boil water and slowly stir in the polenta to desired consistency I like it like mashed potato - takes only 5 minutes!
Have a wonderful 4th of July weekend, I think I may check out the festivals in Old Salem :-)