Since getting back I have made my Grandma's coffee cake and chocolate cake. I think now more than ever I want to learn her recipes, perfect them with practice and record them here to preserve them. This is a wonderfully simple cake and full of flavor and it turned out beautifully.
Tips from my Grandma - weigh eggs and then use the same weight of flour, sugar and butter, this really works.
- 2 medium eggs
- 4 oz of self raising flour (the same weight of the eggs)
- 4 oz of butter, softened
- 4 oz sugar
- 1/4 of a cup of cold coffee
- make a cup of coffee and allow it to cool
- mix the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- add the eggs and the flour, I used a light cake flour this time (self raising) made all the difference
- add about 1/4 cup of the coffee
- line a round baking tin with grease proof paper and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until a knife comes out clean
- for the icing mix a about 1/2 a cup of coffee with confectioners/icing sugar until you get a paste cover the cake and grate some chocolate over it allow it to set.
Jasmine testing the icing :-)
My amazing Grandparents :-)
What cake did you learn from your Grandma?