I made scones recently and they actually turned out to be pretty good, not my Grandma's but there is hope that I may master it yet!, scones and tea are a match made in heaven especially when they are warm with Jam and a cup of tea. So why not treat yourself this weekend to a British afternoon tea, pull up a chair for a natter with me!
- 8 oz- 225g self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 oz- 50g butter
- 1/4 pint -150 ml milk
- extra milk for brushing
- sift flour and salt into a bowl
- rub butter into flour until it looks like breadcrumbs
- add milk using a knife mix, it will be a soft and not sticky dough
- turn into a floured surface and knead to 1cm, 1/2 inch thick
- cut into 7-8 6.5 cm, 2 1/2 inch rounds, I used the top of a mug really need a biscuit cutter !
- put onto a greased baking tray brush with milk
- bake at 450 for 7-8 minutes until risen and golden
- enjoy warm with butter and jam and a cup of tea - Heaven!