This soup was inspired by Snacking Squirrel, a lovely Canadian food blogger it looked healthy and easy to make and pleased to say I made my first split pea soup. Dried peas are a great source of protein, B Vitamins, potassium and soluble fiber great for lowering cholesterol.
Thats actually one of my favorite things about blogging since starting blogging I have so many wonderful first recipes :-) thanks everyone.
Hubby loves lentils, beans and pulses growing up in South India with a now strict vegetarian Mum, he loves them in fact I would call them his comfort food so I knew this would appeal to him.
- 1.5 cups of dried split peas
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 3 rashers of bacon
- 1/2 an onion chopped
- one cup of vegetable stock
- about 4 cups of water, and more as needed
- 4 cloves of chopped garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- cook the bacon till crispy and keep to one side
- saute the onions and garlic then add the carrots, potatoes and slit peas
- add stock and water and simmer for 2 hours near the end add the bacon
- serve with a your favorite bread and enjoy :-)
Has anyone else made this soup?
and a shout out to Jennifer of agirlandhercarrot a fellow dietitian who gave me the stylish blogger award
and Malli kindly gave me this award it was her first, I remember the thrill of getting my first blogging award so be sure to stop by and visit her lovely blog.