I made Australian Crunchie recently no idea how it got the name in fact I don't think Australians have even heard of it!, Its fun to make and in fact was one of my favorite things to make with my younger brother growing up. This time the name brings a huge smile to my face as we are going to Australia next month!! we decided to go a huge long haul trip before we have two kids :-), we will be also meeting some wonderful bloggers down under. I am truly blessed for the opportunity be sure to come over when we are packing next month and squeeze in our suitcases.
The recipe comes from the BE-RO cookbook an iconic British baking book by a flour company. It started to be published in the 1920's when self raising flour was introduced. The traveling salesmen would give it out at demonstrations!, and it is still going strong with over 38 million copies sold!
- 5 oz self raising flour
- 8 oz butter or margarine
- 5 oz sugar
- 3 oz shredded coconut
- 3 oz crushed cornflakes or any cereal - I used a shredded wheat and bran cereal this time
- one tablespoon of cocoa
- melted chocolate
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- melt the butter/margarine over a low heat
- stir in the sugar, coconut and cereal, cocoa and flour, mix well
- turn into the tin and level with a knive and bake for 30 minutes
- when almost cold cut into squares
- then cover with chocolate if desired
Has anyone else been to Australia? got any tips?