I made Channa Masala recently and had chickpeas leftover after soaking and pressure cooking them. I thought they would pair perfectly with bulgur wheat and a healthy salad. I soaked the bulgur wheat for 30 minutes added tomato and roasted eggplant and voila a healthy lunch was born. Bulgur wheat has a texture like cous cous but is whole grain and higher in protein.
- one cup of chickpeas (canned would also work)
- one cup of bulgur wheat
- one large tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
- one tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- a dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- one small eggplant chopped
- soak one cup of bulgur wheat with 2 cups of hot water for 30 minutes
- meanwhile roast the eggplant with garlic a dash of olive oil, salt and pepper for 15 minutes at 400 , until soft
- then combine with bulgur wheat, lemon juice, freshly chopped basil, chickpeas and fresh tomato
What is your new favorite healthy lunch item?