A few years ago we had the pleasure of going to a wedding in Southern Germany. It was the best wedding we have attended, set in a beautiful church in a German village with a reception in a castle in the Black Forrest surrounded by vineyards. Complete with amazing food, great company and dancing into the wee hours of the morning. The night before we ate in a little country pub and I had a pork and noodle dish I have been craving it ever since!
I found the German noodles - spaetzle in World Market the other day got to work! @Latvianchef on twitter tweeted this recipe to me, she is a Brit living in the US who also lived in Germany, I keep trying to get her to start a blog! - http://www.germanworldonline.com/index.php/recipe_zurichragou/
So here is my version, it was wonderful:
- 2-3 large pork chops thinly sliced
- one onion sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic sliced
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoon of creme fraiche
- one cup of beef or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- a little fresh lemon juice
- olive oil or butter for cooking
- enough flour to coat pork
- one pack of mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 shallots sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- one small leek thinly sliced
- heat some olive oil and saute the pork coated in flour for 5 minutes then put to one side
- then heat some more oil or butter add the onion, shallot, garlic, mushrooms and leek and saute for 5 minutes
- add the pork back into the pan with beef or chicken broth stirring all the while, add the white wine and salt and pepper simmer for 10-15 minutes allowing sauce to reduce
- then add fresh chopped parsley and lemon zest and creme fraiche or fresh cream simmer for another 10 minutes
- serve with German egg noodles (I added peas to the noodles as wanted a veggie in there!)
This was my first German/ Swiss meal has anyone else got any recipes to share would love to learn more, or know or any German food bloggers!
Heres a snap I found from the Germany trip in 2005!, after the wedding my parents flew from Scotland to meet us for the weekend, we also had hubby's parents with us we flew them over from India and drove them all over Southern Germany he he they were so tired trying to keep up with us. Wow time fly's I am now a Mum, next time we visit will be with Jasmine!