I had some bratwurst recently and googled recipes using them as I wanted something different and stumbled on this a Dublin Coddle, its a simple one dish meal and great for cooler weather. Its also great to make extra to have leftovers. I think this is the first Irish meal I have cooked ;-) got to love cooking firsts.
- 3 medium potatoes thinly sliced
- 2 rasher's of bacon
- 4 bratwurst sliced
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- one cup of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- cut the bacon into small pieces, saute with the onion for a few minutes
- then add the sliced sausage and brown slightly
- layer the potato and carrot on top
- add the stock, water and salt and pepper
- and turn to a simmer for about 45 minutes checking that there is enough water.
- I like to have this like a soup
broccoli from my garden we had some for Christmas dinner :)
Had to share this one, every time I cook the kids do too, I must put pans, spoons and toy food back a few times a day. Its adorable though.
Have a wonderful New years everyone and all the best for 2013, may it be filled with adventure and laughter