I noticed a tweet on twitter for this wonderful event - Food Blogging Support for Sandy, hosted by Barbara of Creative Culinary and Jenn of Jenn cuisine and thought I have to join in and I hope you will too. We just need to share a comfort food recipe and then spread the word. I am sure many of you have seen the news of the terrible storm and the damage it has caused. Social media makes it real having friends in the area affected by it. Although its not on the news all the time now, the folks in the North east will need ongoing support for food, healthcare especially blood per red cross and more. So keep donating and praying for our friends there. Comfort food for me is always pasta :-) this was a lovely meal a simple bolognese made with bison, served with homegrown lettuce and arugula.
- one small pack of bison (bison is a wonderful meat, leaner than beef with a mild sweet flavor)
- 2 small carrots chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- one can of diced tomatoes
- one tablespoon of diced tomato
- one cup of chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Italian herbs
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup of freshly chopped basil
- a handful of greens
- 1/2 a red onion chopped
- saute the garlic and onion in olive oil for 5 minutes then add the bison and let it brown about 5 minutes
- add the mushrooms and carrots, with the herbs and saute
- then add the can of tomatoes, and puree and turn to a simmer
- simmer for 20-30 minutes, add the fresh basil
- serve with pasta of choice and salad
- American Red Cross is providing food, shelter, and other forms of support to hurricane victims. You can donate directly to the Red Cross or you can also text the word “Redcross” to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- The Salvation Army is also focused on providing food, shelter, and support to victims, and takes donations for storm relief.
- Feeding America is providing food, water and supplies to those who need it as part of their disaster relief program.
Hugs and what's your idea of comfort food?