I have seen this stew numerous times on blogs and this version was based on a recipe on the Kitchn, this recipe comes from West Africa its easy to make and packed with flavor, in fact my hubby is asking for it again, always a good sign. I made a few changes mainly adding in extra vegetables including sweet potato and zucchini. As a busy Mum one pot meals are wonderful.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- one pack of lean beef cubed, regular small size in grocery store
- one small onion chopped
- one teaspoon of ginger/garlic paste
- 2 cups water
- one can of chopped tomatoes, small
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- a handful of freshly chopped coriander/cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup chunky natural peanut butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- a few peanuts for garnish
- one zucchini chopped
- one sweet potato chopped
- one carrot chopped
- add a little oil to the bottom of a thick bottomed pan and add the beef, brown it for about 5 minutes on a medium heat
- add the onions and ginger/ garlic paste and saute
- then add the can of tomatoes and all the spices, and a cup of water and the vegetables
- turn to a simmer for about an hour, when the meat is nice and tender add the peanut butter and simmer for another 20 minutes
- serve with rice, or mashed potatoes.
What dish have you made recently that your family has asked for again?
Couldn't resist to add some rainbow pictures from our recent trip to Iceland, I adore Rainbows and remember God keeps his promises ;-)