I found patty pan squash recently in whole foods and fell in love with the cute shape, like mini flying saucers I think they were sourced from Mexico and are in season in the Summer. Great nutritionally high in Vitamin C, folate, Vitamin A, Potassium and Magnesium. I decided to roast them with eggplant on the day of purchase as after reading I found out that they can spoil quickly. This was a lovely meal and one to try again, who knows now I am gardening I may even try my hand at growing them.
- one cup of patty pan squash cut into halves
- 1/2 a big eggplant diced
- 4 cloves of chopped garlic
- 3 small tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 a red onion
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of Italian herbs
- add eggplant and patty pan to a roasting tray drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, add garlic and bake at 400 for about 10 min until soft
- saute onion in olive oil with a 1/2 a teaspoon of Italian herbs add tomato and let it reduce down to a sauce takes 5-10 minutes
- add roasted vegetables and serve with pasta of choice.
Its been a busy few days here, getting ready for my parents coming, cleaning house, excited to see them on Thursday. Then next week we are all going to Omaha to visit my brother and sister in Law there and I am speaking on social media at the State Dietetic meeting :-)
Jasmine getting some fresh lettuce leafs from the garden
Homegrown lettuce on my ham, cheese and branston pickle sandwich