This is a great and speedy recipe for chickpeas, a wonderful source of protein, fiber and nutrients. You can use soaked and pressure cooked or a can works well. Channa masala is great with rice or chapati it would also make a great filling for a wrap. Its great to have go to nutritious recipes to have on hand to eat well this new year and indeed throughout the year. Chickpeas or Gabanzo beans are one of the earliest cultivated beans and are loved all over the world. Added to stews, made into hummus, added to curries, toppings for salad the possibilities are endless.
- one can of chickpeas
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 a red onion thinly sliced
- a pinch of mustard seeds
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon of masala or curry powder more if more heat is desired
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger and 1/2 a teaspoon grated garlic
- heat a little oil and pop the mustard seeds, then add the ginger, garlic and onion and sauté for about 4 minutes add the tomato and let it reduce down to a paste will take about 10 minutes
- add a little water if needed and the masala powder with the can of chickpeas and salt as desired and simmer for a further 5- 10 minutes.
We ate this with aloo gobi and chapati. I also love roasting chick peas with chicken like this -
Roasted with spices, as a snack
or as a sweet potato and chickpea stew
how do you like to use chickpeas?
Have a wonderful 2014 everyone thanks for being here, it means the world to me, heres to fun, laughter, adventures and great food in the coming year