On our recent trip to California, my contribution on Christmas day was this simple citrus salad, I was feeling inspired with the fresh citrus in Southern California and had picked up a big bag by the side of the road in Redlands. We have just had a few days of snow in Winston Salem, was lots of fun for the kids with sledding and snow angels. It doesn't snow much in this area so it was a great experience and now the snow is melting got to love winter in the South.
I love how bright salads bring a splash of summer and sunshine to the day and remind of us of warm sunny places. During our time in California we visited La Jolla this was really the highlight it was a gorgeous resort town on the coast, with seals, stunning sunsets and lovely places to take a stroll.
- 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice (I used Navel)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/8 cup of white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 small oranges sliced, I used a navel and blood orange
- a couple of handfuls of mixed greens
- a handful of walnuts
1. carefully cut the orange with a sharp knife to remove the skin and segment
2. arrange the greens on a couple of plate's with the oranges
3. mix the ingredients of the vinaigrette together and drizzle over the salad and keep the rest for later
So why not bring some sunshine to your table with this salad.