One of our favorite ways to cook rice is this Caribbean inspired recipe I learn from a trip to Turks and Caicos, its easy to make and it transports you to a sunny Island. The day we cooked this, fresh wild caught local shrimp were on sale, good shrimp is perfect to lightly season and grill it takes minutes and is so good.
- One can of peas in coconut milk
- 1/2 a red onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- salt about 1/4 teaspoon
- pepper to taste
- one cup of uncooked rice
- jerk seasoning
- saute the onion and garlic in olive oil for about 7 minutes
- then add a cup of rice (I used Jasmine)
- add the can of peas in coconut milk (if you can't find these you can find pigeon peas in the Latino section of most grocery stores and buy coconut milk separately)
- add about a cup of water not much is need as the coconut milk is already present.
- add salt and pepper
- turn the heat to a simmer add a lid and boil for about 20 minutes.
- check from time to time to see it its done.
- meanwhile add jerk seasoning to the shrimp and grill them serve with the coconut, peas and rice and vegetables.
It's the last week of school for our girl, so proud of her she has enjoyed first grade and done wonderfully with her reading, it was field day today such fun. She also did her first dance recital this week :-) the wee man is thriving full of mischief and keeps us on our toes. We are headed to the Outer Banks this weekend excited to see the famous lighthouses let the kids play and soak up the sunsets.
Hope your well and have a great start to summer.