I never tire of risotto as I feel its a blank canvas with endless in season possibilities this is spring inspired with the asparagus. Risotto is an easy dish to make and the stirring can be quite calming well maybe. It's always good to make a good quantity for leftovers don't you just love leftover days.
- one cup of arborio rice
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 4 slices of pancetta thinly sliced
- 1/2 a red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 6 small sweet peppers chopped
- one bunch of asparagus chopped
- a dash of balsamic vinegar
- one fennel sliced
- water as needed so it doesn't stick
- roast the peppers, fennel and asparagus with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and balsamic vinegar at 400 for 10-15 minutes
- add a little olive oil to a pan and saute the pancetta, onion and garlic for 3 minutes
- add the wine and let it reduce down
- then add the rice and roasted vegetable, stir and add a cup of vegetable stock let it simmer as it starts to dry out add more stock and keep stirring.
- Add water as needed and keep testing to see when its cooked takes about 30 min it will have a little bite to it
I have really been enjoying volunteering in the strawberry field at the children home the last few weeks, lovely to learn from farmers and see the progression of the strawberries, if your local you can pick your own or call by and buy some. This weekend May 16th they are having Farm fest with food, local music and of course strawberries. The funds from the farm support the children's home.
See their facebook page for strawberry updates