In the summer we spent some time with my brother and sister in law in Edinburgh, they have a nice old home in the city center. One day when we were out walking we stopped at a cool shortbread shop, this was all it sold and they made and baked them right in the store my favorite one was a toasted coconut one. Its always fun to re create recipes and bring back travel memories.
The majestic Edinburgh Castle
Scotland is always fun to visit I went to high school and university there and look forward to visiting again this summer. Shortbread is easy to make and really a blank canvas to add many flavors too. Perfect with an afternoon cup of tea.
Lomond hill in Fife near where my parents live
Falkland a gorgeous village in Fife
5 oz butter diced and a little extra for greasing
8 oz of plain flour and some for dusting
4 oz sugar
one tablespoon of toasted coconut
- grease a baking tray with butter
- sieve the flour and rub in the butter with fingers until it looks like bread crumbs
- stir in sugar and toasted coconut (you simply head a pan and toast unsweetened coconut for a few minutes until slightly brown) and make a firm dough
- roll it out onto a floured surface to about 1 inch thickness and use cookie cutters for desired shape
- bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden
The shortbread cookies were dinosaur approved :)