I love this time of year when the farmers markets start again, there's something magic about fresh in season produce. The flavors are so good and often you only need to make the simplest of recipes to allow them to shine.
- pasta of choice
- shiitake mushrooms about 6 sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- a big handful of arugula
- 2 tablespoon of white wine
- a sprinkle of red chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- one rasher of bacon sliced
- a little butter
- cook the bacon and garlic for 3 minutes
- then add the wine and let it reduce add the mushrooms a knob of butter and cook for a few minutes
- add the arugula and a little red chili flakes, and let it reduce down
- meanwhile cook pasta of choice till al dente
- add the pasta to the vegetables with a little of the cooking water to form a sauce
- and serve, season with salt and pepper to taste
Last weekend I went to the mountains with my friends for a girls trip it was lovely we ate at a really cool restaurant in Spruce Pine called the Fork and Knife, I can't recommend it enough first class food. The chef used to work cooking for celebrities in LA and his creativity and finesse are evident using seasonal and local ingredients.
Hubby and the kids joined me on saturday and we went to Linville falls, simply gorgeous and a nice little hike easy to do with wee ones.
What restaurant have you really enjoyed lately?