I have published this before, but couldn't resist making and sharing it again as its a wonderful seasonal recipe. I Love cooking Rhubarb down with strawberries and a little sugar making a crumble or using the compote on oatmeal or with yogurt for breakfast or a snack. Rhubarb is popular in the UK and my Dad has a plant in Scotland we used to snack on it from the garden as kids dipped in sugar remember not to eat the leaves as they are poisonous. It grows in the northern states of America and its often called pie fruit as its popular in pies ;-) I have also come across recipes for a ketchup which looks fab the tartness would work so well.
- 4 stalks of rhubarb
- one small box of strawberries
- sugar to taste about 2 tablespoon
- - cook the rhubarb with the strawberries and sugar on a low heat for about 20 minutes it will completely cook down into a compote.
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 tablespoon self raising flour
- 1/4 stick butter
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Handful of pecans
- Mix the crumble ingredients with your fingers
- 1/2 fill ramekins with rhubarb and strawberries
- top with crumble mixture and bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- its wonderful served with custard or ice-cream
have you eaten rhubarb? do you have any interesting recipes to share?