I had some beetroot that needed using and trying hard to minimize food waste :-) I love roasted vegetables so figured why not roast some beetroot and make a pesto with it. I often have a package of gnocchi on hand for a speedy meal so this was really easy to put together. I loved the color and spring like flavor of this. Beetroots are an excellent source of folate and a very good source of fiber, manganese and potassium. Don't forget to use the greens high in calcium, iron and vitamin C they can be cooked and enjoyed in the same way as spinach.
- 3 small beetroot cubed
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- a big handful of fresh basil
- a small handful of pine nuts
- and about 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- heat the oven to 400 and roast the beetroot, garlic, a little salt and pepper and olive oil for about 20-30 min until really soft
- blend the beetroot with the basil, parmesan and pine nuts
- boil the gnocchi until it floats about 4-5 minutes and mix together
Today is the start of farmers market season :-) wonderful got to love this time of year. In other news I am really enjoying my master gardeners course I am a few weeks in, learning lots and staying busy studying for that. Then I will start volunteering in gardens hopefully I can offer my dietitians skills, gardening ( ha working on this) and social media for the local gardens to promote all the good work being done. The kids are keeping well, keeping me busy especially the wee man, he put toys in the toilet recently and we needed to replace it will have lots of stories for his wedding day :)
Do you do any volunteer work?