When we went to India recently I had the pleasure of meeting Sanjeeta from Lite Bite I adore her, such a humble person and so talented she is now also a professional food stylist. We had a lovely lunch with her and her family and she gave us Firni a Rajasthani dessert from her home state. I made it with strawberries like Sanjeeta did and added pistachios, see the link for her wonderful recipes one with mango and one rose.
- 2 cups of milk
- one tablespoon of basmati rice
- 1/4 cup of milk to soak basmati in
- 1/2 a cup of sugar
- 2 cardamon pods, I used pods so it was a mild flavor, the original used ground powder.
- a handful of chopped pistachio
- one cup of chopped strawberries and a few slices for garnish
1. soak the rice in the milk for 20-60 minutes then grind into a paste
2. boil the milk to a light simmer and add the rice paste
3. carefully keep stirring so that it doesn't stick for about 10 minutes, adding the cardamon and sugar with the strawberries.
4. the rice paste is a natural thickener and as the rice cooks it makes a lovely thick pudding
5. after it thickens remove from the heat place into ramekins, I did one in a tea cup (I got this in a charity shop in Boston England for a pound)
6. place in the fridge for a few hours
7. garnish with chopped pistachio and strawberry
I think this would make a fun treat for valentines ;-)
Have a wonderful start to the week everyone :-) and thanks so much for being here sharing life, travels, recipes and fun