Aviyal is a traditional South Indian dish I remember my Mum in law telling me that it was one of her favorites, it is often served at weddings and festivals. When we were in India last month my Aunt came from the village to visit. She is a lovely lady and now after being married nearly ten years and meeting quite a few times with my not so good Tamil and her English we manage to communicate. She's in her 50's but so active and full of live and humor. She puts some of the younger folks to shame:-) with her energy levels, she is also a wonderful cook. I got this recipe from her but I did use coconut milk as its hard to get fresh coconuts locally, but it tastes pretty close and the hubby approved.
- eggplant about 4 little ones found in Indian stores, or a larger one cut into chunks
- one drumstick if you have but not necessary
- one tomato chopped
- one green chili, cut in half
- one big plantain chopped or 3 small green ones
- one cup water
- 3/4 can of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- one red chili
- a handful of fresh curry leaves - you can find these in the Indian store in the case of this recipe they are needed.
- a pinch of mustard seeds
- boil all the above vegetables in water for about 10-15 minutes until soft
- then grind the coconut paste, with the cumin and chili
- add to the vegetables with the coconut milk, slowly stirring on a low heat for 5 min
- heat a little canola oil and pop the mustard seeds with the curry leaves and add to curry
- enjoy with rice
Here's me and Auntie
This is her laying rice flour on the roof to dry with the kids, the coolest thing is she grew the rice and made the flour, this flour is used to make iddiapam. See below, almost like an Indian rice noodle, its eaten with curries or with coconut milk and sugar often for breakfast.
These banana flowers were also grown in the village and the flowers carefully picked to make a tasty stir fry with.
The kids have been sick this week with a cough and cold, hopefully it will leave the house soon.
Have a lovely start to the week everyone :-)