Monday, February 16, 2009
Here are some fun facts on tea
- Discovered in 2737 BC by Chinese Emperor Shen Nung when his servant accidently put leaves in his hot water
- First imported to England by the East Indian Trading company from India, mostly drunk by the rich hence the custom of British High Tea in the afternoon
- Great Britain put heavy taxes on tea to recover losses from the French and Indian wars on the colonies, this was not taken well by the Americans who dumped tonnes of tea into the water at Boston Harbour in Protest and started the American Revolution
- Thomas Lipton invented the tea bag in the early twentieth century
- The Americans invented iced tea in fact 80% of tea drunk in America is iced.
- All teas come from the same plant camellia sinensis the colour comes from the way the tea is processed, black tea is exposed to air and oxidised and green tea is less processed hence its milder flavour and colour, oolong is in between
- Black and Green teas have mostly the same caffeine content.
- Tea is a rich source of antioxidants namely catechins and may decrease the risk of heart disease
- Tea tastes great and as A Brit we are brought up drinking tea, when your tired and need pick me up nothing beats a cuppa.
- I have found great British teas in World Market, and Fresh Market for folks living in the States, Favourite picks are PG tips, Tyhoo and Yorkhire.
So go on put the kettle on !!!!
Posted by Rebecca Subbiah at 1:27 PM