I made this salad recently its based on Tabouleh a Middle Eastern salad loaded with fresh parsley and using bulgur wheat interestingly when I added to vine I labeled as tabouleh and it created lots of unpleasant comments about how unauthentic it was. This got me thinking its great to seek out authentic foods, try new cuisines in local restaurants and travel but why not change up a traditional dish. Food evolves over time and in some cases many countries claim to have created a certain dish. The most important thing I feel is having fun in the kitchen being brave and creating tasty and nourishing dishes if its not textbook authentic thats ok go ahead and enjoy.
makes 3 servings
- one cup of cooked bulgur wheat
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley chopped
- one small tomato chopped
- 1/2 a cucumber chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 a fresh lemon squeezed
- one teaspoon of olive oil
- a few mint leaves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of za'atar
- 2 small carrots grated
- cook the bulgur wheat as directed I found one that only needed to have hot water added for 30 minutes, sometimes I will make it and keep in the fridge to have on hand to make the salad
- simply add all the ingredients to a large bowl and toss
- enjoy it makes a lovely light lunch and is great to take to work or for a picnic
In other news can you believe our girl just joined second grade and is now 7, and the wee man is nearly 4. I started this blog when she was a baby 7 years ago! thanks so much for sharing the blogging journey with me your friendships and comments mean the world to me.