Avocado toast is so popular these days, I saw it referred to as an Australian dish on the Guardian recently for me I also think of it as Californian. On our visit to Southern California in the spring I have fond memories of avocado toast on sourdough in La Jolla.
This quick snack or light meal really shines in summer when tomatoes are at their best. It's easy to make, very healthy and kids love it too.
- one avocado mashed with a little salt and pepper and a dash of lemon juice
- 2 - 3 slices of toast depending on the size of the avocado
- one large heirloom tomato sliced
- mozzarella or any desired cheese
- fresh chopped basil
- a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil
- mash the avocado season with salt and pepper to taste and a little lemon juice
- toast bread then spread the avocado on it
- layer the cheese and sliced tomato
- then add the chopped basil with a little oil and vinegar
- serve and enjoy
Enjoy this with summer tomatoes :-)