For the last few years we have bought citrus from Florida over the winter either From The Orange Shop online or Citrus Unlimited. I found out about the later from my mail man. Citrus unlimited is a family citrus farm in Florida who during the season drive a big truck to different cities in North Carolina and Virginia. The Winston salem location is very close to my house, these big boxes are great for juicing and the family is knowledgable and lovely.
In January you can get honeybells so sweet and juicy. This cake is an ode to them.
- 4oz butter
- 4oz sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz self raising flour
- on teaspoon of orange rind
- 1/4 cup of fresh orange juice.
- one cup hot water
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- another 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind.
- cream the butter and sugar, beat in the eggs one at a time
- then slowly fold in flour and orange juice and grated rind.
- half fill the cupcake cases and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until firm, or a knife comes out clean.
- add just boiled water to icing sugar and orange rind and drizzle a little over the cupcakes.