I confess with starting up the farm I have been creating less new recipes of late, just cooking routine healthy meals that I know the kids will eat. This is a simple recipe with Indian flavors, would be great with roti.
- one can of dark kidney beans and a can of light kidney beans
- one small red onion chopped
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- a pinch of cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- one cinnamon stick
- one red chili
- 1/4 teaspoon of masala powder
- salt to taste
- one can of tomatoes
- heat a little oil and add the whole spices to temper them, then add the onions and garlic and saute for 5-7 minutes until translucent
- add the tomatoes with the masala power and salt and simmer for 5 minutes
- add to a blender and blend
- return the sauce to the pan and add the cans of kidney beans, simmer a few more minutes and adjust seasoning if desired.
This morning we planted strawberries, Swiss chard, pea shoots and lettuce at the Clemmons elementary school garden. I wanted to get them in early to have plenty of time for them to grow so the kids would enjoy them before school is out. In this picture the kids are weeding :-)
Then when I returned home me and the wee man planted spinach, lettuce and peas in our garden. I will be growing in three places soon. The work on the raised bed garden has been started at the farm its looking great. I will write a blog post with pictures really soon.