We eat a lot of sandwiches at our house and sometimes you feel like a change, channa masala makes a fun vegetarian and super healthy filling. It's nice and spicy and pairs wonderfully with cucumber and tomato or any in season vegetables.
here's how to make the channa masala -
- one can of chickpeas
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 a red onion thinly sliced
- a pinch of mustard seeds
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon of masala or curry powder more if more heat is desired
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger and 1/2 a teaspoon grated garlic
- heat a little oil and pop the mustard seeds, then add the ginger, garlic and onion and sauté for about 4 minutes add the tomato and let it reduce down to a paste will take about 10 minutes
- add a little water if needed and the masala powder with the can of chickpeas and salt as desired and simmer for a further 5- 10 minutes.